Craft: Pine Cone Turkey
Give Thanksgiving dinner guests a unique take-home gift with these pinecone turkeys.
What you need:
- - Round pinecones (not long ones)
- - 1 red bumpy pipe cleaner (chenille stem)
- - 1 orange bumpy pipe cleaner
- - 5 other colors of bumpy pipe cleaners
- - Glue (craft, wood or all-purpose glue that dries clear)
- - Wire cutter **have an adult handle the wire cutters
1. Make sure the pinecones are completely dry.
2. Have an adult cut the bumps apart in each pipe cleaner (chenille stem). You want the bumps to be whole and fluffy, so cut at the narrow part of the pipe cleaner.
3. Take one red bump and shape into an 'S'. Glue this to the rounded end of the pinecone. The bump should stick out a bit above the cone for the head of the turkey.
4. Take one orange bump and shape it into a 'V'. Glue this under the bottom of the round part of the pinecone. This becomes the legs and feet.
5. Take five to seven other bumps, and carefully bend them so the narrow ends can be twisted together leaving the puffy ends rounded.
6. Put some glue on the end of the pinecone, inside, and attach the bundle of pipe cleaner bumps to the pinecone.
7. Let dry, then adjust the shape of the pipe cleaners to make your turkey more realistic.
8. Place it on your holiday table, mantle or anywhere you want a little gobble gobble!