Easy Experiment: Volcanic Explosion
This simple project is a fun way to experience (on a small, less destructive scale) the power of a volcano.
What you need:
- - Clear bottle with a slim neck (like a pop bottle)
- - Vinegar
- - Baking soda
- - Liquid dishwashing soap
- - Food coloring (red or whatever color you have on hand)
- - Big baking pan (like a cookie sheet)
- - Glass or mug
- - Cup measure
- - Funnel
- - Spoon
1. Put the empty bottle in the middle of the baking pan (or cookie sheet).
2. Put baking soda into the bottle until it covers the bottom.
3. In a cup or mug combine ¼ cup of vinegar, two big drops of liquid dishwashing soap and a few drops of food coloring.
4. Using the funnel, pour the mixture into the bottle.
5. Stand back and watch as your ‘volcano’ erupts over the bottle!
By combining the baking soda and the vinegar you are creating a chemical reaction. The vinegar and baking soda create carbon dioxide gas, the gas expands and escapes to the bottle opening, pushing the soap mixture with it.