Math Magic Tricks
Now you see it, now you donít!
Math Magic - Easy:
1. Ask a member of the audience to choose a number between 1 and 20.
2. Ask them to double the number in their head.
3. Add 6 and divide by 2.
4. Subtract the original number from the new number.
5. Pause for suspense and announce that the number is 3! Try it with any number. The answer will always be 3.
Math Magic Ė Hard:
1. Using a deck of cards, deal out 27 cards in nine rows of three on a table. Get rid of the rest of the deck.
2. Ask a member of the audience to choose a card from one of the rows but only tell you which row itís in.
3. Pick up the cards from the table, but pick up the chosen row first.
4. Deal the cards out again in three rows of nine. Your answer will be in the first row.
5. Ask the audience member to tell you once again what row their card is in and you should have your answer.
6. Just for show, deal out the cards one more in nine rows of three. Once the cards are all laid out, announce the magic card.
Bonus: Math Magic Riddle:Tell this story to the audience and see if they can figure it out. There is a family of four at the carnival. If each member has to shake hands with each other once, what is the total number of handshakes? Hint: If youíre stumped, get four audience members and demonstrate it. The answer will always be 6.